Wednesday, September 14, 2011

[?] winning 10nl player

Played ~3k hands of 10nl today and made $6.64 in actual profit.  Wouldn't be the end of the world if it wern't for the fact that I ran 3 buy-ins above ev.  I think a lot of that came from winning a bunch of flips aipf, not that I was necessairly getting it in bad, but's it's still a little worrysome.  I also made $7 in rakeback, and won a $11 satty ticket for playing 3k hands on Wednesday, so in total I made about $24 in equity.

I'm not going to lie and say i've made a 100% transition to 10nl so far.  I did notice a few little things where I was adjusting poorly today.  For example, at 4nl my standard c-bet "bluff" size was just over half pot.  A common example would be where I was betting .16 into a .30 pot on the flop, which is a 53% pot-sized bet.  I noticed today that I was betting .50 into a .75 pot on the flop as my standard bet.  That is a 66% pot-sized bet which is a massive leak compared to 4nl since i'm giving up most of the time when they call, unless I decide it's a good barrel spot.  I guess I just found it easier to slide the bet bar a few notches rather than keep it consistent with 4nl.  The bottom line however, is that i've started to pick up on these things and have commited to adjusting.

Another leak I noticed is I couldn't fold in 3 bet pots when I hit the flop at all.  Often I was leading the turn against a reg for $3-$4 with $3-$4 behind, with tptk hands.  The reg would ship over my bet and I would think "I know I have to be beat, but ZMOG I only have to call $3-$4 to win $20."  Staring down a $20 pot is actually quite enticing compared to playing 4nl, but I need to remember to think of it in terms of bbs.  At 4nl I would be snap folding these spots, so I need to start doing the same at 10nl.  Just because i've already commited $6 doesn't mean I have to call off the last $4, and when they ship, they usually have it.

Anyway, I plan to put in a similar grind tomorrow.  I've also drank a few beers, so it's time for some 4plo :).  Will post if I have any interesting hands.

Here's the graph from today:

2 comments:

  1. Do you c-bet the same amount hit or miss? And do you make it 53% on draw heavy flops with tp? Or are you increasing the bet size depending on what kind of flop it is (assuming you have tp+)? On the one hand, I hate to entice a call on a Jd8d9h, but I also hate to bloat the pot too much when it's likely my opponents have a big draw with lots of equity. I find I end up having to fold a lot of turn/rivers for fairly big pots in those spots. I sometimes even check back tp on a flop like that and pot any brick turn, they're less likely to peel with one card to come. I guess I mix it up really, it's a tough spot, particularly multi-way. Thoughts?

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, I switch my sizing up based on my equity and how gross the flop is. 53% is my "i'm giving up if he calls this because I have no equity" c-bet size. I just felt like it was a leak since i'm giving up anyway, so why risk the extra .10 by betting 66%. If I have a piece of the flop I usually bet about 2/3, but obviously depends on the exact situation.

    I agree checking/betting small on draw heavy boards can be good. Like in the example you gave, if the Td comes on the turn, it's gonna be tough to continue with AJ. But I guess like everything in poker, depends on the opponent etc.

    ReplyDelete