Sunday, September 18, 2011

Signs of hope

Finally had a decent session at 10nl yesterday.  I was actually pretty life-tilted about how things have been going so far.  It's strange that even when you can easily see you're running bad, how much confidence you can lose.  With my confidence so low, I didn't really want to play 10nl, and didn't even really want to bring myself to play 4nl.

However, somehow I managed to open up Merge and load some 4nl.  Played for about an hour, made a little over a buy-in and took a cigarette break.  The whole time I was outside smoking, I was just debating with myself wheter I should just keep grinding 4nl or load 10nl instead.  I was still feeling pretty down about poker, and told myself "I finally had a winning session today (at 4nl lol) but I know if  I play 10nl i'm just going to lose a few buy-ins and regret the decision".  I'm not the most optimistic person in the world, but it's pretty unusual for me to be this down about poker.  I know i'm not great, but can't remember being this depressed about sngs at any point.

Either way, I finally decided that if the 10nl lobby looked good, I would play that.  Went back inside and saw that the 10nl games looked very juicy, so it was time to call my bluff and play.  It ended up being a great decision.  Loaded up a bunch of tables and all the table averages ended up being 30/x at least.  Even saw one table that something like 43/9 which is insane for Merge.  I can't even remember ever seeing a 4nl table like that before.  So I guess saturday's are my new grind time.  I didn't play many hands as I should have, since I got a call from some friends to hang out.  Even though I was running well and the games were soft, I still thought a break from poker would be the most +ev decision.

I also think playing a bit of 4nl before my 10nl sessions might be a good idea.  With sng's I never needed to do anything like that since everything was so automatic.  However, with cash I sometimes need a bit of time to warm up and get in the zone.  It was also helpful to play 4nl first and get into that "I don't care about results, i'm just going to play my game" mindset, then bring that mindset to 10nl.  I guess it's sort of like stretching before serious exercise.  So I might start with 4nl for 30-45 minutes from now on, then switch to 10nl for the rest of the day.

Also played a bit of 4plo last night.  Started off losing a bit, but then ran pretty good at the end.  I don't have the plo version of hem so i'm not sure what my exact results were, but i'm 90% sure I was within $1 of breaking even.

4nl/10nl from yesterday:

No comments:

Post a Comment